Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hard Times Prevail: Daily Civil War Observations from Rolla

By Ryan Reed

Letter
Allen B. Johnson to Eliza M. Frazier
Truncated

Rolla  Jan 27th 1861

My Dearest Eliza: - 

I can think of little news to relate, for all excitement continues to be of a public character, known as soon to you as me perhaps.  We get news even in this distant land, only 24 hours old from Washington.  Hard times prevail to an alarming extent throughout the entire south.  Saint Louis is much like Sunday, all thru the week.  People who live in such places as this know little of the pressure felt in cities until they go and see for themselves.


Allen Johnson in 1863
Oh such splendid weather as we have had this winter.  I wish you could be here to enjoy it, as I am sure you would.  "Italian skies" are as nothing compared with it I imagine.  We had a light fall of snow last week, and on Thursday all sleighs that could be mustered were brought into requisition in St. Louis, but in Rolla it did not come near being sleighing.  Hope you will write me all the news you hear when you go to Montrose.  How dose "Jennie" and George get along?  I have heard nothing from him since the time I got your first letter.

Most Affectionately Yours

Allen

Special thanks to The State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Rolla for providing the Johnson letters housed at their facility.  The letters concerning Johnson's activities were transcribed with a brief biography written by John F. Bradbury, Assistant Director at the State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Rolla, for the June 1987 issue of the Phelps County Historical Society Newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment